Release Notes - Version 3.0.018¶
TeamDrive Registration Server version 3.0.018 is the next major release following after version 3.0.017.
Version 3.0.018 contains the following features and notable differences compared to version 3.0.017:
- As a security enhancement, TeamDrive user passwords stored on the Registration Server are now hashed using the bcrypt algorithm instead of the previously used salted MD5 method. When logging in with a TeamDrive Client version 3.2.0 (Build: 536) or newer, existing hashed passwords are automatically converted into the new format.
- Changing, invalidating or resetting a user’s password now also triggers sending an email to the affected user. For this purpose, the following new mail templates were added: passwd-changed, passwd-invalidated and passwd-reset.
- The Registration Server now supports sharing and synchronizing user profile information across all of the user’s devices and with other users, e.g. initials, registration email, profile picture, full name, phone (telephone number), mobile (telephone number). Before, this information was shared with other users on a per-Space basis. Only users that share Spaces are able to exchange profile data with this new method. This feature will be supported by a future TeamDrive Client version.
- The expiry date of licenses is now properly checked via the “Expire Licenses” auto task. Users receive an advance notification 10 and 3 days before the license expires. When the date provided in the Valid until field has been reached, the user receives a final notification and his license will be reverted to the default free license. The following email templates were added to facilitate the notification: license-expirein10days, license-expirein3days and license-expired-en. To avoid disruptions/surprises when upgrading from previous Registration Server versions, the update function setLicenseExpiryDefault() will set the default value of ENABLE_LICENSE_EXPIRY to False for providers that already have licenses with an expiry date. When performin a new installation or adding a new provider account, license expiration will be enabled by default.
- Email templates now support the [[BRAND]] macro, to replace the term “TeamDrive” with another string if required. This can be defined via the EMAIL/BRAND_NAME provider setting. The default is TeamDrive.
- Most parts of the TeamDrive Registration Server installation can now be
performed via RPM on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and derivative
distributions, which significantly improves the installation procedure and
the process of applying updates. In particular, the following components are
now provided in the form of RPM packages:
- The PBT-based Registration Server (td-regserver-3.0.018.4-0.el6.noarch.rpm, files installed in /usr/local/primebase/setup/scripts)
- The PHP-based Administration Console and support files (td-regserver-adminconsole-3.0.018.4-0.el6.noarch.rpm, files installed in /var/www/html/adminconsole and /var/www/html/tdlibs)
- The PrimeBase Application Environment (PrimeBase_TD-4.5.48.<build>-0.el6.x86_64.rpm installed in /usr/local/primebase), including the PrimeBase Apache module mod_pbt (installed in /usr/lib64/httpd/modules/mod_pbt.so) and some support scripts and configuration files in /etc/.
- The installation package now contains a script mysql_install.sh that performs the creation of the required teamdrive MySQL user account and populating the databases required for the Registration Server.
- The installation package now contains a log rotation script, to support rotation and compression of the Registration Server’s log files.
- The installation now uses the default MySQL data directory location (/var/lib/mysql) instead of defining a custom one (/regdb). The default MySQL configuration settings for my.cnf have been reviewed and adjusted.
- The automatic service startup at bootup time is now configured using the distribution’s chkconfig utility instead of changing the Boot options in file /usr/local/primebase/pbstab. The PrimeBase_TD RPM package provides the required SysV init script /etc/init.d/teamdrive to facilitate this.
- The term “Distributor” has been replaced with “Provider” in most occasions.
- The obsolete settings UseExternalAuthentification and UseExternalAuthentificationCall have been removed. External authentication is now enabled by setting AUTHSERVICE/USE_AUTH_SERVICE to True.
- In previous versions, the setting AUTH_VERIFY_PWD_FREQ did not have any effect (it was added without the actual implementation by accident). Starting with version 3.0.018, a user’s Clients will be logged out from the TeamDrive Service after the time defined in this setting. To avoid surprises and a change in behaviour after an upgrade, updating from a previous version of the Registration Server suggests calling the update function setLoginFreqToZero(); to change this setting to 0 for any existing Provider.
The PHP-based Administration Console received several new features, numerous usability enhancements and security improvements. Some notable highlights include:
Tabular output (e.g. a filtered list of users, devices or licenses) can now be exported to CSV files.
Tabular output now indicates the current sort order and column name with a small arrow icon.
The columns visible in the table displayed on the Manage Users and Manage Licences pages are now configurable.
The summary display of a user’s licenses (“Licenses owned” and “Licenses used”) on the Manage Users page has been simplified.
The list of Spaces in a user’s Depot is now displayed as a sortable table.
It’s now possible to wipe or delete multiple devices of a user at once.
The Registration Server’s Authorization Sequence (required for exchanging invitations with users on other Registration Servers via TDNS) can now be obtained from the Administration Console via Edit Settings -> RegServer -> AuthorizationSequence.
After sucessful registration, a Host Server’s activation key is now displayed on the Manage Servers page, to simplify the registration process for new Host Servers.
It is now possible to remove registered Host Servers via the Manage Servers page.
The Administration Console now supports viewing a selection of server log files directly in the web browser instead of requiring logging in on the server’s console. The View Server Logs page is only visible for the Registration Server’s default provider and any user having the HAS_VIEW_SERVER_LOGS_RIGHTS privilege. The list of log files is defined in the (read-only) Reg Server setting ServerLogFiles and can only be modified by updating the setting in the database directly. Log files can only be viewed if the user that the Apache http Server is running under (usually apache) has the required access privileges to view these files.
Most of the Administration Console Settings are now stored in table TD2Setting of the MySQL database instead of the configuration file tdlibs/globals.php and can be configured via the Administration Console instead:
- LoginSecurity/LoginSessionTimeout (default: 30)
- LoginSecurity/FailedLoginLog (default: /var/log/td-adminconsole-failedlogins.log)
- LoginSecurity/LoginMaxAttempts (default: 5)
- LoginSecurity/LoginMaxInterval (default: 60)
- RegServer/ApiLogFile (default: /var/log/td-adminconsole-api.log)
- RegServer/RegServerAPIURL (previously known as $regServerUrl, not set by default)
- RegServer/ServerTimeZone (default: Europe/Berlin)
The only information required in globals.php is the MySQL connection string to access the Registration Server’s MySQL database. Alternatively, these credentials can be provided from a separate MySQL configuration file. See chapter Administration Console MySQL Configuration for details.
Disabling a user does no longer provide the apply to devices option, as it’s sufficient to disable the user account to block access to the TeamDrive service.
A user’s Space Depots on a Host Server can be activated/deactivated (added in 3.0.018.4, requires Host Server version 3.0.013.8 or later).
The default provider can now set new passwords for other providers (added in 3.0.018.3).
Changing the Provider setting AUTHSERVICE/USE_AUTH_SERVICE to True now automatically adds the other required settings like AUTH_LOGIN_URL and VERIFY_AUTH_TOKEN_URL.
The provider filter selection list now also prints the company name after the 4-letter code.
An option was added to assign an existing license to a user when editing the user’s details.
Various settings that used to expect values in bytes only now provide an option to select other units like “MB” or “GB”.
Input fields that expect a date now provide a date picker, to simplify the entering of dates.
Filter options by date now provide a more intuitive way to define “before”, “at” or “after” the entered date.
Change Log - Version 3.0.018¶